Wednesday, May 26, 2010

De-bugging the Airplane

South African Law says that all flights inbound from certain countries must spray the cabin for bugs before takeoff to (I suppose) prevent the transmission of insect-borne diseases across borders.  In practice this means that a flight attendant walks down the aisle after everyone is seated with an aerosol can (or 3, as was the case in Nairobi) spouting some kind of bug killing spray that smells like Febreze.  On today's flight there was no air circulating through the small plane at the time, so it hung in the air for about 5 minutes.  Pretty disgusting.  It is nice that they do you the favor of first saying "We are about to spray the cabin, it will not hurt you but you may cover your nose and mouth if you wish" or something to that effect.  

I guess it's in keeping with South Africa's policy on things like Yellow Fever, as well, where you hear nightmare stories of travelers from East West Africa unable to prove their vaccination history and being quarantined for upwards of 10 days.  I haven't been asked for it, but I keep my yellow proof-of-vaccination card in my passport just in case.

Travel update: I've almost made it back from Gaborone, but have a quick stop in Johannesburg tonight since it's not possible to fly direct from Gaborone to Manzini (the Swazi airport).  Additionally, you can't get off of one flight and get on another without waiting several hours or overnight since flights to/from Gaborone and Manzini leave Johannesburg at the same time.  Apparently it's not a popular route.

I'll post some first thoughts on Gaborone shortly, it's a big city compared to all of Swaziland but I didn't get much time to explore (keeping with a trend).  


1 comment:

  1. Have you had to go through a foot and mouth disease decontamination checkpoint yet? That is one of my favorite Botswana airport memories!

    Love the blog! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete