Sunday, May 9, 2010

On The Ground

35 hours after leaving Boston, I made it to Swaziland!  I have a lot of early thoughts, not much time to write right now en route to Nairobi, but I've captured a few below.  Pictures to come, I haven't had a chance to break out the camera yet.  I do have some of my farewell tour, including the bonus 12-hour London stop, which I'll try to post shortly as well (for practice if nothing else).  


Some thoughts, conclusions subject to revision once I get a chance to spend more than 12 hours in the country:
- American Airlines had the worst food I've tasted in a long time.  It was indistinguishable mush, but apparently it was beef.  South African airways apparently had good wine, but I was asleep before takeoff and didn't get a chance to try it.  Thankfully, I was able to sleep for most of the 11-hour flight from London to Johannesburg.  
- I have never seen a smaller airport in my life than the one in Manzini, Swaziland.  Ever.  And it says "Welcome to the Kingdom of Swaziland" on the front, which I found funny for some reason.  I'll get a picture if I fly back in there later this week.  It had one room, maybe two or three others that I didn't see.  They didn't blink when I told them I was staying for 1 day (true-ish, since I'm going to Nairobi today) but was carrying three suitcases, a backpack and a laptop bag with me.
- Mbabane (pronounced alternately "ba-ban-ee" or um-ba-bahn" depending on who is speaking) is absolutely tiny. I'm talking don't blink while driving through or you'll miss it, tiny.  Everyone lives on a hill overlooking some scenic view or other, no one lives in the city center that I can tell.  It feels even smaller than Concord, NH, even though I don't think it actually is.
- The food is respectable, possibly even good.  I had two meals in Swaziland yesterday, and both were good.  One was a panini and one was a pasta dish with chorizo.  Both were tasty.  And pretty cheap, ~10USD for dinner, and 5 USD for breakfast.
- The currency is the Emalangeni, and it trades at about 7 to the dollar.  7 is a terribly difficult number to use in division, but I expect I'll get better at it.
- I will probably be able to go to the World Cup pretty easily, if not cheaply.  Will investigate later this week.
- I went on a hike yesterday just after I arrived.  A "rock" called Sibebe.  Described as a "little walk" it turned out to be a three hour hike up a rock face and down through a valley.  It looked like it would have been fun to rock climb/boulder in some parts.  There seem to be some pictures here: http://www.sibebe.co.sz/gallery.html


Now I'm off to Nairobi for four days to meet with the global pediatric HIV/AIDS team and learn a little about what I'll actually be doing for work.  I expect it will be a firehose of information, but I'll try to retain some of it, at least.


More to come.   I'm excited to be here, the place seems interesting with a lot to explore and I expect to have some interesting stories to tell.

Garrett

1 comment:

  1. I took a friend to Churchkey Saturday night and thought to myself "hey, maybe I'll run into Garrett" then got really sad. We miss you, but from this post it sounds like an amazing adventure awaits. I'm really envious and proud of you for doing this. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete